I put this most together last week but didn’t manage to post it before heading north for the weekend.
As I mentioned in my last post, I fired my first soda kiln of 2009 last Sunday. I unloaded it on Wednesday between classes and managed to snap a couple of quick pictures in the process. We’ve been having some crazy weather here in Chicago that has kept me from going back to my studio to spend some time with these pieces and to take more pictures. We’ve had back to back to back snow storms and it got cold enough for the thermometer to hit -15°F. That meant that I didn’t get back to the studio to take some decent pictures before heading out for a road trip, but I thought I’d share a quick sneak peak from the unloading.
I’m hoping that I can figure out a way to capture the surface of this piece. It is full of little sparkly crystals. I’ve never had crystals develop over such a large area in this kiln before. Of course you can’t see them in this picture, but you can see the kiln wash splattered floor in the background!
This is one of the espresso cups and saucers that I mentioned before. This sweet little cup is maybe just under 3″ tall. While I was unloading, I discovered that one of these saucers mysteriously made it into the kiln without any wadding… oops!
I’m regretting that I didn’t take a pictures that had any sense of scale. This teacup is much larger than the espresso cup above.
This firing was all part of a large dinnerware set from a wedding registry that I have been working on for my friends Beth and Lars. Hopefully I’ll get some better photos of the set to share here soon.